The old and new palaces (Stari Dvor and Novi Dvor) are located in downtown Belgrade, in the Kralja Milana street, surrounded by Pionirski (Pioneers) Park, in front of the National Assembly. The first one was built in the second half of the nineteenth century as a royal palace of the Obrenović dynasty, and the second one at the beginning of the twentieth for the Karadjordjevic dynasty. The park was a royal garden back then. Today the older one serves as the Belgrade City Assembly, while the newer one was converted into the Presidential palace.
Stari Dvor (Old Palace), was the royal residence of the Obrenović dynasty. It was built between 1882 and 1884, according to the design of Aleksandar Bugarski, in the style of academism of the 19th century, with intention to surpass all existing residences of the Serbian rulers.
Predsednički Dvor (Presidential Palace) was built in 1911 on the site of an older palace of Knez Mihailo form the 19th century, according to the design of Stojan Titelbah. Since 1922 the palace was residence of king Aleksandar and queen Marija Karadjordjevic, before they moved to the new royal complex at Dedinje. The palace was first converted into a museum, until 1950 when it was used as a government building of the republic of Serbia, and later on as the presidential palace. The building has a high architectural and artistic value and is a protected monument of culture.