Built as the palace of the Federal Executive council of Yugoslavia, today it is home to several ministries and offices of the Serbian government.
Perhaps even more interesting than it’s architectural features is it’s interior decoration, featuring halls dedicated to each of the republics of the former Yugoslavia, decorated according to the ethnic styles of the republics.
The construction of the building was started in 1947, just after the end of WWII, symbolizing the birth of a new socialist futurist nation with it’s own symbols and landmarks.
The building was constructed in the mixed stripped down classicist (the main structure) and modernist (the glass domed great hall with front entrance) architectural styles. Common misconception about it being in socialist realism/Stalinist style is due to lack of such buildings in Belgrade in general. Due to Tito – Stalin split occurring before major new construction began in the city, the style, with the exception of Trade Unions Building, never took hold in Yugoslavia. While it is the most monumental building of the early socialist period, unfamiliar with Soviet construction of the time, yet familiar with the term used for it, come to this obviously erroneous conclusion.
Its H-shaped base covers an area of approximately 65,000 m², thus making it the largest building in Serbia by area covered. It has 744 offices, about 30 m² each, 13 conference rooms, six salons, three large halls and two garages.
The highlight of the building is a huge luster (glass dome), believed to be the largest in the world. It has a diameter of 18 meters and weighs over 9 tons, and at night it shines with 4300 light bulbs.
Also known as: Palata Srbije, SIV, Palata Federacije
Hotels near Palace of Serbia