Also known as: National Assembly, Skupština
Why visit: Top landmark, history, surroundings.
The Parliament palace in Belgrade was built in the early twentieth century, and it served as the national parliament of Yugoslavia, then Serbia and Montenegro, and it eventually become the parliament of Serbia in 2006. It is one of Belgrade’s most significant buildings that has witnessed many important events in the history of the city and of the nation.
Tours inside the building are available.
During the 18th and 19th century, this was the sight of Belgrade’s most imposing and most beautiful mosque – Batal džamija, and the largest graveyard in the city. The Parliament palace construction started in 1906 intended for the National Assembly of Serbia, but it wasn’t completed until the thirties, when it started serving as the Parliament of Yugoslavia. It has since then witnessed and shared the fate of the city.
The Parliament is easily accessible on foot from the Republic and Terazije squares through Bezistan pass and Nikola Pašić square, Kralja Milana street and Slavija trhough Pionirski park (between the Royal Palaces), and from Kneza Miloša and Bulevar.
Buses 23, 24, 26, 37, stop in front of the parliament, and trolleys 28 and 41 stop in Takovska street between the Parliament and the Main Post Office. Many other lines have their stops in the surrounding streets.