Also known as: (Glavna) Železnička stanica
Why visit: Architecture
Belgrade’s Main Train station is one of the city’s most impressive historical buildings, constructed between 1882 and 1885, modeled after the great European train station buildings. The first train departed from the station on August 23, 1884, connecting Belgrade and Niš.
It is currently the largest and most important of the dozens of railway stations in Belgrade. It is located in the Savamala district in the city center, on the Sava square adjacent to the Belgrade bus station – BAS.
The main train station (intentionally not called central despite it’s location) should be replaced by the Prokop (Centar) train station once completed (under construction for the last 30 or 40 years).
The blue diesel locomotive
An interesting attraction on the station is a blue diesel locomotive, supposedly the one that pulled Josip Broz Tito’s “Blue train”. This locomotive is usually used as the gather point for excursions.
The old post office palace
The huge Post office building, located at the station was a beautiful Neobyzantine palace, but heavily damaged during WWII, and the facade was reconstructed in a completely different style, the soc-realist straight-line plastics popular after the war.
Address and phone number
Address: Savski trg 2, 11000 Beograd
Phone number: +381 11 3602899 (press zero for the operator)
Website: Belgrade train station