There are six bridges on the Sava river and one on the Danube in urban Belgrade, as well as three more on the Sava river in the southern suburbs. There are many smaller bridges over the numerous streams that flow through and around the city, but most of them don’t even have names.
The Sava bridges from North to South are:
This bridge is the nearest to downtown and an important walking and road link between Belgrade’s two central parks – Kalemegdan and Ušće. Brankov bridge was built in 1957 replacing the former chain-stayed King Aleksandar I bridge, with the old bases remaining. It is an important landmark of Belgrade.
Old Tram (Sava) bridge
The Old Sava (tram) bridge is the only arch bridge in Belgrade. During World War II it was the only bridge to remain intact in Belgrade, and one of the few bridges in Europe which the retreating German forces failed to demolish.
Recently reconstructed, this bridge has the shape and color of a gazelle, which gave it the name. European highway corridor E75 passes over this bridge.
Old Railway bridge
Located between Gazela and the New Railway bridge, this is the oldest standing bridge in Belgrade, and the only one from the 19th century.
New Railway bridge
This was the newest bridge in Belgrade until completion of the Ada bridge, built in 1979.
Ada bridge is the newest and most impressive bridge in Belgrade and Serbia. It’s pylon stands at 200m height, and it’s the longest single-span bridge in the world.
Bridges on the Danube
On the Danube there’s Pančevački (Pančevo) bridge, and another one is under construction between Zemun and Borča districts. The closest bridges to Belgrade are some 50km in both directions – Beška (on the highway towards Novi Sad and Hungary) and Smederevo (towards Vršac town and Rumania).
A 1,075 m long combined road and railroad truss bridge over the Danube, originally built in 1935 was destroyed during World War II, and rebuilt after the end of the war in 1946.
Fun fact: the Pančevo bridge was constructed as a temporary solution and was planned to last 10 years. The architect were shocked to hear it’s still in use today.